Neighborhood Parks Council (NPC) is a coalition of community-based park groups actively involved in improving neighborhood parks throughout San Francisco. Since 1996, NPC has grown to include 120+ park groups and 4,000 park volunteers, establishing itself as San Francisco’s premier park advocacy group. NPC strives to increase public and private support for, and commitment to, the restoration and improved maintenance of neighborhood parks, playgrounds, and recreation facilities. In addition to technical assistance and organizing help to their network and new park groups, NPC provides a forum for sharing information and experience at park planning meetings in each District, including educational presentations and workshops with guest speakers and topic experts. The NPC website is a critical part of helping them to achieve their vision.
NPC’s previous website was static with a cluttered and text heavy design. They needed a solution for their website to reduce ongoing maintenance services, provide dynamic ways to provide information to their users, and make it possible to keep the site as up to date as possible without having to go through a webmaster for every change. MsJones Design was able to use Drupal to help NPC improve their efficiency and achieve their website goals.
* By customizing the Drupal Menu module to work with SmartMenus (a customized javscript/css application), MsJones was able to create scrolling menus throughout the website. The menus allow …..
* MsJones utilized the Drupal Theme module to create a clean easy to maintain design that reflects the organization and provides a more inviting way to provide information to their community of users.
* MsJones was able to utilize the Drupal Workflow module with the Profile module to create a customized output for the entire profile data export.
* With some minor customization to the Drupal Events module, MsJones was able to create a more streamlined and effective output for event participation, tracking, and organization.
* With a combination of custom PHP programming, the Drupal Content Construction Kit, Contemplate, and Organic Groups modules, MsJones built the ParkKiosk Community. The ParkKiosk is a web portal that will offer park groups in the city access to a web page dedicated to their local park or playground. Park groups will be able to contribute park histories, maps, photos, event listings, blogs and forums to their ParkKiosk page, thus creating what is essentially an online community bulletin board and portal to all parks and playgrounds in San Francisco.
* MsJones integrated the Google Map API to allow for customized information with the Google Maps for the more than 400 park locations in San Francisco without requiring users to leave the site.
Through focusing on the individual needs of NPC and utilizing Drupal in creative and customized ways, MsJones has increased the organization’s productivity, allowed NPC to keep information up-to-date and timely, reduced ongoing maintenance services, and provided NPC with access to profile data and features that allow them to be more effective in educating and mobilizing their community.